Broken 21.02 rc3 imagebuilder [Was: Re: Should ubus be marked as target-specific "nonshared"? (broken 21.02 rc2 imagebuilder)]

Hannu Nyman hannu.nyman at iki.fi
Sun Jul 4 01:41:31 PDT 2021

Petr Štetiar kirjoitti 2.7.2021 klo 16.11:
> Hannu Nyman <hannu.nyman at iki.fi> [2021-06-05 13:40:21]:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Based on forum discussion, we have currently a broken 21.02.0-rc2
>> imagebuilder, as libiwinfo can't find the correct libubus version.
> seems like there is broken 21.02.0-rc3 imagebuilder as well:
>
>   openwrt-imagebuilder-21.02.0-rc3-ipq40xx-generic.Linux-x86_64$ make image PROFILE=avm_fritzbox-7530 PACKAGES=luci-ssl-openssl
>   Collected errors:
>
> It seems like that currently any package that depends on nonshared package
> needs to be treated as nonshared as well, otherwise such issues would happen.
>
> -- ynezz

My solution attempt aimed just to mitigate the "nonshared static packages
depend on ABI revisioned shared packages" case, so that at least the
nonshared package set would remain coherent in releases. iwinfo was one such
package and apprently @jow- fixed that now separately (by changing it to shared).

Similar common packages are still e.g. mtd, block-mount and blockd, which are
nonshared but depend on ABI revisioned shared packages like libubox, libubus
etc., so they can be broken by version bumps. See analysis in
https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2021-June/035442.html

Regarding the generic case, the combination of ABI revisioning and
shared/nonshared build difference (volatile/fixed) is the killer here. There
is no real solution.

The easiest mitigation might be to backport changes into these key ABI
revisioned shared packages in the release branches just shortly before next
rc or dot releases, so that the imagebuilder remains broken only for a short
time.