[uqmi] dms: add --get-operating-mode

Sergey Ryazanov ryazanov.s.a at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 09:56:29 PST 2021

On Sun, Dec 5, 2021 at 7:43 PM Henrik Ginstmark <henrik at ginstmark.se> wrote:
> My intention was to speed up the registration to the LTE network.

If we talk about a modem that is part of a router, then I doubt
whether the airplane mode activation will be able to speed up the
registration procedure. After a router power on, the main router
firmware should complete its own boot process before it will be able
to switch the modem into airplane mode. But the modem will be powered
in the same time as the router CPU and most probably the modem will
boot faster. So when the main firmware becomes ready, the modem will
be already registered with a network. And triggering the airplane mode
will only delay data communication readiness.

It would be nice to have the mode configuration command in the uqmi
utility. But toggling the airplane mode in an automatic fashion can be
even dangerous (see below).

> When the LTE terminal is powered on it will attach with the modem
> default APN profile. If that is empty, then the network will assign the
> network default APN and you get an IP address.
>
> But if the modem default APN is incorrect, or if your operator does not
> assign a default APN, you will be rejected in LTE and the modem will,
> after a while, register to 3G, since you don´t need a valid APN to
> register to 3G.

Please be more specific, what modem model and operator do we talk
about? As I showed earlier, a modem has a lot of options during
network registration, and earlier community experience suggests that
it is most probable that a modem will register with a network smoothly
even without an earlier preconfigured APN. So we should make our
discussion more specific.

> But if we verify that the modem default APN is correct, before we do the
> registration, we will be sure that the registration goes smoothly.
> The modem will store the default APN setting.

When you talking about the default APN did you mean the first
connection profile? There are only two commands that carry APN:
profile creation and network start. Network start should be called
after the network registration completion, while the profile
configuration command is not yet implemented.

> My proposal to qmi.sh, roughly.
>
> Check PIN
> Check data format 802.3/raw-ip
> Check modem default APN settings
> If the default APN setting are incorrect,
>   Airplane mode on
>   Change default APN settings
>   Airplane mode off

This is my primary concern. How many modem models will reliably exit
the airplane mode without any issues?

--
Sergey