[OpenWrt-Devel] How to start

Javier Domingo Cansino javierdo1 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 20:11:33 EDT 2015

Hi,

If you are willing to implement a simple mac protocol, you could start
exploring the Linux kernel code, the network part. There are several
manuals and books around linux networking that could be useful. After that,
you could try to compile an image for any board you are willing to use.

I have supposed you meant real hardware like a linux based implementation.
If you just intend to make a MAC protocol, and don't plan to use Linux, I
am afraid that it's going to be easier, but openwrt just works on top of
Linux (someone correct me if not...).

Also, take into account that openwrt is a set of tools, scripts and
software to create fine grained customized OSes. It uses Linux as it's
kernel, thus the first paragraph I wrote.

Cheers!