[OpenWrt-Devel] lantiq DSL drivers / firmware info

Martin Blumenstingl martin.blumenstingl at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 23 17:51:33 EDT 2015

Hi Andre,

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 11:32 PM, Andre Heider <a.heider at gmail.com> wrote:
> The dsl line never syncs, and letting 'vdsl_cpe_control --c' just sit
> there spits out repeatedly:
> 'DSL_CPE: Wrong combination of DSL PHY Firmware and hybrid type used!
> Please change one of it.'.
At some point during my tests I got a second device (an Arcadyan
VGV7510KW22 - which came as "Annex B" device from the factory). Using
the very same config made this device sync fine.

> This sounds like an annex incompability? Was I wrong and there is a
> hardware difference and I cannot use the non B model with annex b?
Indeed, I have read multiple times that the DSL modem should support
all annexes - but as our tests have shown: it doesn't (at least for
ADSL). My guess is that the modem physically supports it but there's a
bootstrap pin (to which a resistor is soldered... or not) which
configures it to be Annex A *or* B only.
The interesting part: VDSL is not affected by this (all ISPs in all
countries seem to use VDSL over ISDN). I am using an Annex A device on
a German VDSL line and this is working fine.

bottom line: it seems that the modems are bound to a specific annex
for ADSL operation.

Regards,
Martin