[OpenWrt-Devel] General questions about the direction of switch drivers

David Lang david at lang.hm
Mon Feb 16 17:19:41 EST 2015

Having a more abstract way of managing this available is a nice option to have,
but I would hate to loose the ability to set things explicitly.

Keeping in mind that we are primarily dealing with low-end devices, anything
that requires more advanced chipsets just isn't going to happen. The chipsets
will progress, but what gets put into the APs is going to be the cheapest swtich
chipset that will do the job of a dumb switch. The fact that this cheapest
chipset also happens to be able to do a lot more is a very nice bonus for us.

Remember that the vendors want to also offer the "Enterprise" APs with the
advanced capabilities.

David Lang