[OpenWrt-Devel] General questions about the direction of switch drivers

Joel Wirāmu Pauling joel at aenertia.net
Mon Feb 16 17:09:37 EST 2015

I for one would love to see brctl and vconfig disappear completely in
favour of ovs-* based standard toolchain for all switch interaction.

Certainly in the Bigger iron area, and things like core and cumulus coupled
with SDN approaches and Openstack this is fast becoming defacto. I don't
see why with a bit of additional abstraction that ovs couldn't become the
default stack for mainline and certainly for OpenWRT it offers a lot more
versatility than the current brctl and vconfig tools.

I guess the biggest issue is getting ovs- offload to switch chipsets rather
than CPU bound softswitch. Maybe some sort of flag where unsupported
operations/modes which would end up being done on the CPU are
flagged/masked?

-Joel