[OpenWrt-Devel] General questions about the direction of switch drivers

Charlie Smurthwaite charlie at atechmedia.com
Mon Feb 16 16:51:49 EST 2015

On 16/02/15 21:34, Dirk Neukirchen wrote:
> There might be 2 interesting posts regarding current/future state and
> development direction of In-Kernel drivers:
>
> 1) rejected in 2013: "net: phy: add Generic Netlink switch configuration API"
> link: http://lwn.net/Articles/571390/
> The thread might be of (historical)/implementation interest
>
> That thread mentions some other infrastructure in Kernel (Marvell DSA)
> (that is not appropriate for OpenWrt according to devs)
>
> 2) since November 2014 there is a new switchdev api:
> introduce rocker switch driver with hardware accelerated datapath api - phase 1: bridge fdb offload
> link: http://lwn.net/Articles/619446/
Thank you very much. The existence of the 'switchdev' driver / framework
is what lead me to think about this, so I might get to work on trying it
this way.

The hardware NAT issue seems much more complicated, as there seem to be
a lot of questions to be answered about integration (or not) with
netfilter. I have no particular opinion on this, and will be focusing
100% on the layer2 functionality to begin with.

I'll look closely at the "bridge fdb offload" post you mentioned as this
seems like a cool integration to start with.

Thanks for the links!

Charlie