[OpenWrt-Devel] General questions about the direction of switch drivers

Dirk Neukirchen dirkneukirchen at web.de
Mon Feb 16 16:34:23 EST 2015

On 16.02.2015 22:03, David Lang wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2015, Charlie Smurthwaite wrote:
>
>> Specifically I am looking for opinion on whether the swconfig framework
>> is suitable for more advanced functionality, or whether there was likely
>> to be a move to any other upstream framework for switch devices,
>> particularly those with more advanced functionality. The types of
>> functionality I am currently interested in supporting are:
>>

> I am curious as to what other switch device frameworks are out there.
>
> It's worth noting that the vast majority of OpenWRT devices have a single switch in them, and that switch is typically not the fanciest (although the march of technology mens that every year it's going to be better than it used to be)
>
> David Lang

Switch/"advanced functionality" questions are resurfacing often -
many devs probably know & hate that "HW-NAT" ticket
https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/11779

There might be 2 interesting posts regarding current/future state and
development direction of In-Kernel drivers:

1) rejected in 2013: "net: phy: add Generic Netlink switch configuration API"
link: http://lwn.net/Articles/571390/
The thread might be of (historical)/implementation interest

That thread mentions some other infrastructure in Kernel (Marvell DSA)
(that is not appropriate for OpenWrt according to devs)

2) since November 2014 there is a new switchdev api:
introduce rocker switch driver with hardware accelerated datapath api - phase 1: bridge fdb offload
link: http://lwn.net/Articles/619446/