[RFC] Sponsorship Questions

Florian Fainelli f.fainelli at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 23:28:27 EDT 2017

On 04/20/2017 07:58 PM, Yousong Zhou wrote:
> On 20 April 2017 at 23:32, Jo-Philipp Wich <jo at mein.io> wrote:
>>
>> So the questions are:
>>
>> 1) Are you okay with endorsing a 3rd party as offical LEDE sponsor?
>> 2) What are the rules you'd like to lay out for such a sponsorship?
>>

> This is good news.  The project can definitely have more
> computing/storage resources available
>
> Is there an essential list of requirements to become a sponsor?  or a
> voting procedure can do?  I prefer the later
>
> Donating computing resources and hardwares gadgets are just like
> contributing code and docs or tending the infrastructure.  They
> deserve the credit.

I agree that all of these deserve credit, but we should also introduce a
scale because not all of these things are equal in how you support a
project and the commitment towards that project.

Donating servers and infrastructure is great, but is just a one shot
thing that does not come with any strings attached. Giving out hardware
is pretty much the same thing although could be difficult, but giving
code and documentation should deserve extra credit because it's
typically a very hard process for most companies and the people making
that possible should get all the recognition they deserve (provided that
they agree with that).

>  The project should be able to maintain its
> independence and devs their free will of choice when sponsors should
> try to exercise their influence.  So the rules can be a default-off
> one, i.e. listing what they can/cannot do and all other options
> requires discussion in the least.

Makes sense.

> Regards,
>                yousong