DSA Terminology

Val Kulkov val.kulkov at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 12:45:20 PDT 2022

On Tue, 13 Sept 2022 at 04:09, Arınç ÜNAL <arinc.unal at arinc9.com> wrote:

> On 13.09.2022 05:43, Rich Brown wrote:
>

> > But if I'm reading it right, there's a clash between your definitions (say, in https://openwrt.org/playground/arinc9/network.interfaces) and the LuCI interface and the /etc/config/wirelsss terminology. If I'm reading it right, "config device" controls the configuration of interfaces, while "config interface" does what your DSA terminology calls "networks". Is this correct?
>
> Exactly. Slight correction, it's computer networking rather than DSA
> terminology.

Note that both /etc/config/firewall and /etc/config/wireless refer to
"network" rather than "interface" in the following configuration
option network 'lan'
option network 'wan'
option network 'wan6'

In the above examples, 'lan', 'wan' and 'wan6' are the names of
interfaces as they are defined in /etc/config/network. This is not
intuitive. I think the value of "option network" should be a network
name as the name of this option suggests, not an interface name.

IMHO changing, in /etc/config/network:
"config interface" -> "config network"
"config device" -> "config interface"
would eliminate this semantic inconsistency and bring the naming
convention more in line with what Rich referred to in his comments
above.