DSA Terminology

Arınç ÜNAL arinc.unal at arinc9.com
Tue Sep 13 01:04:53 PDT 2022

Hey Rich,

On 13.09.2022 05:43, Rich Brown wrote:
> Hello Arınç,
>
> Thank you for persisting in correcting my understanding. I appreciate the link to the dsa.rst document. I now realize that as you and jow have said, "DSA is simply a way to give each port of a switch its own name" so it can be configured.
>
> But if I'm reading it right, there's a clash between your definitions (say, in https://openwrt.org/playground/arinc9/network.interfaces) and the LuCI interface and the /etc/config/wirelsss terminology. If I'm reading it right, "config device" controls the configuration of interfaces, while "config interface" does what your DSA terminology calls "networks". Is this correct?

Exactly. Slight correction, it's computer networking rather than DSA
terminology.

> If my observation is correct, how can we correct the terminology across all of OpenWrt? Thanks.

This is roughly the pages I'd like under the "Networking" section of the
OpenWrt Wiki:

- Network & Network Interfaces
   - DSA interfaces should be put and the dsa.rst document linked here.
- Bridge VLAN Filtering
- Configuring Networks & Interfaces
   - This can be a more generic, simple version of the "Network basics
     /etc/config/network" page. That page needs improvements in any case.
   - Converting to DSA should be included here.
   - Configuring the DSA interfaces on DSA Mini-Tutorial should be
     included here.

The page structure is all blurry at the moment. Bridge VLAN filtering
could be explained under the bridge interface on the "Network & Network
Interfaces page." The "Configuring Networks & Interfaces" page could be
merged with "Network basics /etc/config/network".

It should progressively get better as we work on it.

> Rich
>
> PS I edited the DSA Mini-tutorial to strike through the entire Terminology section pending the outcome of this discussion. Thanks again.

That part should be corrected with my comments and put on the "Network &
Network Interfaces" page. I'll handle that. In a few weeks. Hopefully.

Arınç