DSA Terminology

Arınç ÜNAL arinc.unal at arinc9.com
Sat Sep 10 05:13:24 PDT 2022

On 10.09.2022 14:52, David Lang wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Sep 2022, Arınç ÜNAL wrote:
>

>>> As a start, certain terms have cropped up multiple times in this
>> discussion. Could I ask for definitions for the following terms?
>>
>> Here's my understanding.
>
> There is a difference between a physical device that passes bits and the
> logical interface that communicates with a network range. A given
> physical devices can have multiple logical interfaces on them, and a
> logical interface can use multiple physical devices to communicate (i.e.
> it's not a 1:1 relationship between logical interfaces and physical
> devices.

Agreed. I don't see my writing below contradicting this.

All I talk about is software, there's no physical remarks.

> LUCI is inconsistant and sometimes calls physical devices 'interfaces'
> and sometimes calls logical interfaces 'interfaces'

I find it nonsensical to bring physical devices into software
definitions. It's not physical device that is being called interface,
it's the driver creating an interface on software by making use of the
physical device.

Be it software feature (vlan, bridging, tunnelling) or a physical device
(a switch, a NIC, a wireless NIC), they're all called network interfaces
on software.

I believe I explained types of network interfaces here in a sensible
fashion:

https://openwrt.org/playground/arinc9/network.interfaces#certain_types_of_network_interfaces