DSA Terminology

David Lang david at lang.hm
Sat Sep 10 04:52:19 PDT 2022

On Sat, 10 Sep 2022, Arınç ÜNAL wrote:

>> As a start, certain terms have cropped up multiple times in this
> discussion. Could I ask for definitions for the following terms?
>
> Here's my understanding.

There is a difference between a physical device that passes bits and the
logical interface that communicates with a network range. A given physical
devices can have multiple logical interfaces on them, and a logical interface
can use multiple physical devices to communicate (i.e. it's not a 1:1
relationship between logical interfaces and physical devices.

LUCI is inconsistant and sometimes calls physical devices 'interfaces' and
sometimes calls logical interfaces 'interfaces'

I would have to go back over this thread to give a better definition for each
term, but they are not all names for the same thing as described below (well,
they can be in simple configurations, but much more complex configurations are
possible, and as people start using the power, the confusion of terms causes
problems)

David Lang