DSA Terminology

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 05:13:42 PDT 2022

> On Sep 10, 2022, at 7:52 AM, David Lang <david at lang.hm> wrote:
>
> There is a difference between a physical device that passes bits and the logical interface that communicates with a network range. A given physical devices can have multiple logical interfaces on them, and a logical interface can use multiple physical devices to communicate (i.e. it's not a 1:1 relationship between logical interfaces and physical devices.

Yes, this is a complicated field of study. No only is physical : logical interface not 1:1 but the way we create more layers (VLANs, tunnels, etc) only increases the flexibility (and complexity).

> LUCI is inconsistant and sometimes calls physical devices 'interfaces' and sometimes calls logical interfaces 'interfaces'

And this adds another opportunity for confusion :-(

> I would have to go back over this thread to give a better definition for each term, but they are not all names for the same thing as described below (well, they can be in simple configurations, but much more complex configurations are possible, and as people start using the power, the confusion of terms causes problems)

That's why I'm striving to find solid definitions for the base terms, so we can build on them and use them to create comprehensible documentation. Thanks, all.

Rich Brown