DSA Mini-tutorial

Thibaut hacks at slashdirt.org
Thu Sep 8 00:54:20 PDT 2022

Hi,

> Le 8 sept. 2022 à 08:49, Arınç ÜNAL <arinc.unal at arinc9.com> a écrit :
>
> On 8.09.2022 00:12, Jo-Philipp Wich wrote:

[...]
>> Anyhow, so while I agree that:
>>> Interfaces section should be called Networks.
>>> Devices section should be called Interfaces.
>> ... it will directly contradict /etc/config/network, where networks are called
>> `config interface` and interfaces are called `config device` likely leading to
>> even more confusion.
>
> How about we change "config interface" to "config network" while also allowing interface or automatically converting to network for backwards compatibility, and keep "config device" intact as it's an acceptable term anyway?

> I think changing devices to interfaces on LuCI entries is fine.

If we keep « devices » (which I think is fine), I believe LuCI and uci should agree on the term. Otherwise we would still have confusion.

Meanwhile I wonder if a few specific cases wouldn't need to be better addressed.
For instance ppp or wwan create extra « Interfaces » (in current Luci lingo), some having the related protocol - PPPoE/NCM, some having protocol « Virtual Dynamic Interface » (for ipv4/ipv6) - which I personally find confusing, especially as the virtual ones only show up in Luci and not on commandline.

T.