Seeking RPM Server package for OpenWrt

Paul Spooren mail at aparcar.org
Wed Mar 23 05:05:09 PDT 2022

Hi Rich,

> On 23. Mar 2022, at 11:30, Rich Brown <richb.hanover at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The Apple "RPM Tool" is great for measuring network responsiveness.
>
> High numbers from the tool (measured in round-trips per minute - or "RPM") show your network is responsive, even when it's heavily loaded with traffic. This also implies you have low "bufferbloat" - which is good.
>
> There are several RPM clients available:
>
> * `/usr/bin/networkQuality` on macOS Monterey
> * an iOS 15 version described at https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT212313
> * a golang implementation at https://github.com/network-quality/goresponsiveness
> * a Docker implementation in the same repository
>
> BUT... These all test against servers "out on the internet". There's another interesting test to be had: testing against the local router.

The spec wants a 8GB file which seems a bit much for common home routers. We could look into reading from /dev/zero since the body content isn’t relevant but still the device is likely slower at offering the content than your laptop can chew. A dedicated device could be required.

Did you ask upstream about your idea? Maybe they have something in mind already.