MT7621 Flow Control

Jaap Buurman jaapbuurman at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 04:21:32 EDT 2020

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 10:09 AM Kristian Evensen
<kristian.evensen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 1:44 PM Jaap Buurman <jaapbuurman at gmail.com> wrote:
> > However, on this mailing list a user by the name of Kristian claims
> > that disabling flow control helps fix this problem, as can be read
> > here: https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2017-November/009882.html
>
> My patch unfortunately does not solve the problem, as I can still see
> the timeout error. However, by disabling flow control, the frequency
> of the error is decreased to the point where it almost never happens
> (even on devices where I would frequently see the error). In order to
> deal with the remaining timeout cases, I wrote a small watchdog script
> that checks syslog for the timeout message and restarts networking if
> the error occurs. A restart has always been able to recover networking
> (at the cost of a small interruption).
>
> Kristian

Dear Kristian,

Thank you very much for your input. It's unfortunate to hear you were
unable to fix the issue completely, but good to hear the frequency of
it happening has gone way down. I have two questions for you if you
wouldn't mind:

1) Would you perhaps be willing to share the watchdog script? It would
be very useful to me, and probably with me many others with the same
issue.
2) Is my assertion that the above mentioned patch that is supposed to
disable flow control never changed anything, correct? I am not sure I
saw a reduction in the issue cropping up after that patch landed,
which could be explained if the patch never disabled flow control as
it was intended to do.

Thank you!

Jaap