[OpenWrt-Devel] vnstatd and collectd inconsistency with vlan interfaces

Daniel Dickinson openwrt at daniel.thecshore.com
Sun Feb 14 01:44:13 EST 2016

Hi all,

I discovered through that despite over 23 GB of upload in past 24 hours
that neither vnstat nor collectd are reporting even close to that amount
traffic on the lan side.

I didn't have wan reporting statistics on vnstat, so that side of things
is missing, but the lan traffic for the raw vlan interface is rx 1.67
GIB and tx 5.14 GiB, and the bridge it's part of reports rx 2.05 Gib and
tx 5.21 GiB.

Collectd on eth1 (wan) reports correct traffic, but raw vlan and bridge
interfaces on the lan side are about the same as vnstat.

What exactly are they measuring that the lan side of the equation
reports such different results from the wan?

I would expect to see approximately balanced rx on the lan and tx on the
wan, but that is not the case, and the lan traffic is consistent for
vnstat and collectd and I thought they used different methods of
collecting the data, which means that there is common reason for the
behaviour.

Is there something about vlans that affects the way traffic gets
accounted for in the linux kernel?

Regards,

Daniel