[OpenWrt-Devel] vnstatd and collectd inconsistency with vlan interfaces

Daniel Dickinson openwrt at daniel.thecshore.com
Mon Feb 15 04:07:31 EST 2016

I discovered the issue is not with vlans but with the way I was routing
traffic from openwrt as a virtual router for virtual machines running on
the same laptop, for which I want routing out the appropriate vlan for
type of host (e.g. home vs. work) when connected to the local network,
and a combination of internet traffic out the natted wan when working
remote, and traffic destined for my base (remote from the point of the
view of the travelling laptop) to route via vpn for the appropriate vpn
connection for the appropriate vlan.

I had not gotten the routing right and was routing all traffic out the
wan of the virtual router instead of routing each vlan's traffic out the
appropriate vlan on the virtual router (takes using routing rules and
tables).

Hence what I eventually noticed is that the wrong interface on the main
router was getting all the rx traffic I was expecting on differentiated
vlans.

Regards,

Daniel