[OpenWrt-Devel] alternative for "pyserial+python-mini"

Alexandru Ardelean ardeleanalex at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 09:26:43 EDT 2015

Ah, since that email,  python became:
- python-base - just the minimal to have a python interpreter running
- python-light - is a "dynamic" package; it's python (full) minus all other
python-codecs, python-compiler, etc
- python - full python install, minus a few stuff I considered that could
be stripped [to reduce size], like tests [per module],  some python-tk/tcl
[GUI] libs

The idea of python-light is that, whenever you move a Python built-in
module from python-light into a separate package (like python-codecs),
python-light gets lighter.
The mechanism is fairly dynamic; you just need to add a new '
python-package-xxxxxxx.mk' file with some basic Makefile rules, and that's
it.

People can choose to install python-base if they need like
really-really-really-really basic python (a = b + c and maybe some other
syntax).
Then they can choose to install other optional packages.
But for most cases, maybe python-light would be sufficient.

The above is also true for python3.