[OpenWrt-Devel] TEXTREL in x86 with musl

Luiz Angelo Daros de Luca luizluca at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 02:35:36 EDT 2015

Hello,

SInce x86 started to compile with musl, elfutils package becomes broken.
http://buildbot.openwrt.org:8010/broken_packages/x86/elfutils/compile.txt

During linking, elfutils checks if there is TEXTREL in its .so files, and
it fatally fails if so. I guess this is the only package that does this
kind of test.

I'm new to PIE binary but google says that the presence of TEXTREL in an
"readelf -d" indicates that one of more files linked were not compiled with
-fPIC.  Following https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Hardened/Textrels_Guide, I
tried to locale the offending file with scanelf and got this:

$ trunk/build_dir/target-i386_i486_musl-1.1.10/elfutils-0.163 $ scanelf -qT
*.so libelf/*.so
  libelf.so: __func__.3897 [0xE1F1] in (optimized out: previous
__stack_chk_fail_local) [0xE1F0]
  libelf/libelf.so

I checked all .so files generated with musl and most of them (or all) got
the same output. I still have the uclibc binaries and none have TEXTREL.

What is the best way to deal with this? Turn TEXTREL into non-fatal for
elfutils?