OpenWrt and GitHub vs. Gitlab

Luiz Angelo Daros de Luca luizluca at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 11:29:02 PDT 2021

Hi,

OpenWrt already depends on github for packages. OpenWrt success
depends on packages repo.
The question is if we should keep using it. The two code base with two
issue tracking solutions is terrible.

I think that there is no problem in using any provider as long as
OpenWrt is resilient to an aggressive takeover.
If all codes are signed, externally verified and there is an escape
plan, it really does not matter who hosts the project.
As long as we control DNS and have backups, we can bring everything
back to work. I'm OK with using github even for
the main page (it looks like it supports custom domain name).

It's simple math: if the cost to migrate to another host is less than
the saved resources over time (time and money), it is still fine
to accept the risk. I really think that the energy used to maintain
OpenWrt infrastructure could be better used to develop OpenWrt.
Let them pay the bill. We just need a good and quick recovery plan
like "migrate from github backups to gitlab" (or anything available).

My 2 cents,

---
     Luiz Angelo Daros de Luca
            luizluca at gmail.com