OpenWrt and GitHub vs. Gitlab

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Thu Jun 10 00:15:11 PDT 2021

On Wed, Jun 09, 2021 at 01:52:04PM -0700, Trent Robbins wrote:
> Gitlab offers free open source:
> https://about.gitlab.com/solutions/open-source/join/

I will not grow tired to mention this:
gitlab.com ruinned gitorious.org, on purpose.
This is behaviour I would expect from Oracle or Microsoft, buying
a competitor just to shut them down for the sake of market shakeout.
Automatically migrating projects didn't work at all, all PRs and issues
are lost forever, repos and parts of wiki content was restored more
than a year later by archive.org.
And eventhough I never even tried the broken migration button they
supposedly offered at some point, an account with my name has
automatically been created on gitlab.com without my consent.
I only learned about that because I started to receive @mention
notifications and people added me to their projects there.
Ironically, in order to close the account I would have to first
agree to their EULA after going through the lost password procedure
for a password I never had.
Fortunately the EU came up with the GDPR, so that at least gave me
a way out there without having to accept their EULA before.

I'd rather pay for someone who hasn't deliberately destroyed another
community project than taking anything for free from gitlab.com.

Apart from that, it would lock us there just like github.com would.