OpenWrt and GitHub vs. Gitlab

Fernando Frediani fhfrediani at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 06:20:01 PDT 2021

What I am going to say about GitHub some people may not like, but I
think it should be stopped to be used for the simple reason they don't
have yet support to IPv6 and don't even seem concerned to have it
anytime soon.

Some may think that is just a small or cosmetic detail, but I think a
way to get IPv6 available to a higher number of content is to simply
refuse use those who are late to implement it. There are no excuses to
not have it anymore, more or less complex it may be to have it
implemented, not in late 2021. Most bigtechs with large and complex
environments like Google, Facebook, Netflix, Cloudflare, Akamai all have
full IPv6 support, so there aren't much excuses to not have in any other
scenarios

Some may just want to get their development work done using the 'best'
tools and not care about the rest but I personally believe each one who
believes this is important must give the example and refuse tools which
neglect IPv6 until they understand the message. Sometimes we need to be
prepared to compromise on something to get something more important in
long term. And to be honest in this case is it not a big deal as there
are other great tools to be used. GitLab for example supports IPv6 already.

Finally to finish a last note: in the case OpenWrt moves away from
GitHub it should make public the reasons so perhaps the message gets to
the right people quicker.

Regards
Fernando