[OpenWrt-Hackers] Talking points about project merge at OpenWrt summit

Zoltan HERPAI wigyori at uid0.hu
Tue Oct 24 18:29:31 EDT 2017

Hi Hauke,

On Wed, 25 Oct 2017, Hauke Mehrtens wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I will participate in the OpenWrt panel at the OpenWrt summit and would
> like to align with you on the talking points regarding the merge. If I
> miss something or something is wrong please send me a mail.
>

> The LEDE project and the OpenWrt project agreed on a merge under the
> OpenWrt name and the LEDE project rules some months ago.
>
> The lede-project.org and openwrt.org domains where transfered to the SPI
> (Software in the Public Interest Inc.)
>
> John Crispin and Imre Kaloz are Project Liaisons for OpenWrt at the SPI
>
> We will use the LEDE repository in the future and are currently working
> on merging the patches which are in the OpenWrt repository, but not in
> the LEDE one into the LEDE repertory.
>
> We will use the openwrt github project and replace the current code with
> the lede code base, all existing pull requests will be closed.
>
> We will use the infrastructure set up by LEDE (git repo server, build
> bot master). We will try to use external infrastructure when possible
> like patchwork, mailinglist

> LEDE ones, but they will be renamed to OpenWrt, the detailed names and
> organization is not clear yet.
>
> It was not decided yet if and how we merge the wiki and forum, this was
> intentionally postponed.

Sounds good to me. The bugtracker is/was an open question I recall as
well, but that's just a small detail. Also, users might ask whether the CC
(or even BB) source will be available, we should make sure it does. There
were users complaining about "git history being rewritten" (cherry-pick,
anyone?), I also expect that as a question when the git trees will be
updated.

> Is some working going on in merging the websites?

We tried to find people (even to the degree of paying them out of pocket),
but this is stalled at the moment.

Regards,
-w-