Is a dependency to kmod-ipt-* for kmod-ipt-nathelper-rtsp needed

Florian Eckert fe at dev.tdt.de
Wed Aug 14 05:08:19 PDT 2024

Hello Jo,

I have noticed that the package 'kmod-ipt-nathelper-rtsp' [1] has
a dependency to 'kmod-ipt-conntrack-extra' and 'kmod-ipt-nat'.
So if I only want the kernel modules 'nf_conntrack_rtsp' and
'nf_nat_rtsp' for nftables that are in 'kmod-ipt-nathelper-rtsp',
then always the depended kernel packages that deal with
iptables are also installied.

Since we use 'nftables' via 'firewall4' for some time, I
would say that we don't need that dependencies.

I would like to install the rtsp nat and rtsp conntrack
kernel modules without having these dependencies to iptables.
 From my point of view, the dependencies are not necessary.
Also, the package should not be called 'kmod-ipt-nathelper-rtsp'
but 'kmod-nf-nathelper-rtsp' because this has nothing todo with
iptables. I would be interested in your opinion on this.

I came across this while looking through the sources of 'firewall4' [2].

--
Florian

[1]
https://github.com/openwrt/packages/blob/master/net/xtables-addons/Makefile#L201