Marvell EBU 32-bit performance benchmarks (VFPv3-D16 vs NEON builds, Turris Omnia).

Kabuli Chana anome at shaw.ca
Thu Oct 21 13:55:00 PDT 2021

On 2021-10-21 14:31, Rosen Penev wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 12:19 PM Kabuli Chana <anome at shaw.ca> wrote:
>> For me the argument was not about whether there should 2, but whether
>> the change to vfpv3-d16 was the right choice as the 1. openssl is of
>> course preordained to run NEON SIMD code so no change would be expected,
>> but a benefit is seen on WG. I would suggest that is the result of 16
>> vs. 32 FP registers being available, and nothing to do with NEON; i.e.
>> vfpv3-d16 vs. vfpv3. The result being smaller and faster due to more
>> concise FP code generation due to less FP register rejigging.
> I call BS.
>
> WireGuard does not use floating point.Just fixed point arithmetic,
> like most crypto. WireGuard being faster probably has to do with its
> usage of NEON assembly.
Careful now, the brit might take you to task for language violation. But
yes, after I replied it dawned on me that it would be odd that some FP
code found its way into a kernel module. I have never spent any time
looking at the WG code, but it seems if it uses NEON it would make sense
that it detected things, rather than having to have things enabled
externally, but I do not know how rsalvaterra set things up for the build.

But, I think that NEON as the target default is questionable, although
others exist.