[OpenWrt-Devel] ubiformat: bad UBI magic

W. Michael Petullo mike at flyn.org
Thu Jun 11 19:11:56 EDT 2020

I am having some trouble with installing an OpenWrt image I built onto
a Mikrotik RB493AH. I have been using a RB493G for a long time, but I
just bought a 493AH to serve as a backup.

The following, when run on the router, produces the error as indicated:

$ ubiformat /dev/mtd6 -f /tmp/openwrt-ar71xx-mikrotik-nand-64m-rootfs.ubi
ubiformat: 1 eraseblocks have valid erase counter, mean value is 0
ubiformat: 3839 eraseblocks are supposedly empty
ubiformat: erase counter 0 will be used for all eraseblocks
ubiformat: note, arbitrary erase counter value may be specified using -e option
ubiformat: continue? (y/N) y
ubiformat: warning!: VID header and data offsets on flash are 2048 and 4096, which is different to requested offsets 512 and 1024
ubiformat: use erase counter 0 for all eraseblocks
ubiformat: use new offsets 512 and 1024? ubiformat: continue? (y/N) ubiformat: use offsets 512 and 1024
ubiformat: flashing eraseblock 0 --  0 % complete
ubiformat: flashing eraseblock 1 --  0 % complete
ubiformat: error!: bad UBI magic 00000000, should be 0x55424923
ubiformat: error!: bad EC header at eraseblock 1 of "/tmp/openwrt-ar71xx-mikrotik-nand-64m-rootfs.ubi"

I suspect this is either a hardware problem or an incorrect use of
mkfs.ubifs, ubinize, or ubiformat.

Does anyone have any experience with the RB493AH?

--
Mike

:wq