[OpenWrt-Devel] Is it possible to create two images for the same device with a different set of DEVICE_PACKAGES?

Hannu Nyman hannu.nyman at iki.fi
Tue Apr 7 10:22:37 EDT 2020

I do not think that there is a nice clean solution, as I do not remember
seeing a solution of different packages for iniramfs, factory and sysupgrade
images.

I would approach that with a two-step build process, using two .config recipes:

* First a build with a smaller .config recipe without that large Quantenna
firmware. This creates the initramfs image, (which you copy to a safe place
before the second build)

* Then a second build from a recipe including the Quantenna firmware. No need
to do "make clean", so the second build is rather quick. That produces the
full sysupgrade image.

In your build automation scripts, those two builds could be run
consequtively, with a copy step between them.

That will be much easier than trying to code a logic into the actual OpenWrt
build Makefiles.