[OpenWrt-Devel] Is it possible to create two images for the same device with a different set of DEVICE_PACKAGES?

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Tue Apr 7 09:28:57 EDT 2020

The device I am playing with (ZyXEL WAP6805) can be upgraded to OpenWrt
by tftp'ing an OpenWrt initramfs image to it.  But the image *must* be
less than 6815744 bytes, which is a hard coded limit in the OEM tftp
server.

The device also includes a Quantenna module, which needs a rather large
firmware image (4 MB or more). I want to include this firmware in the
OpenWrt sysupgrade images, to enable as much hardware support as
possible by default.

But if I include the Quantenna firmware in DEVICE_PACKAGES, then the
initramfs image becomes too large to be installed from OEM firmware.

Is there any way to work around this?  I have been looking at the magic
of image.mk and friends for hours now, without seeing any obvious and
clean solution.  It would be nice if it was possible to build a separate
rootfs with an explicit short package list, overriding the .config for
special purpose, size restricted, images.

Anyone have pointers to docs or relevant examples?

Or maybe some "don't do that" advice?  I have a sneaky feeling I am
looking at this from the wrong side or something...

Bjørn