[OpenWrt-Devel] petition: start an slightly frozen branch based on snapshot (future 20.x ? release)

Pedro pedro at cas.cat
Tue Dec 24 09:03:10 EST 2019

Dear List,

Most of the new devices that are coming, or that are useful for us as
community networks are in the snapshot release [1] [2] [3]. I feel the
new 19.07 is not benefiting this new devices that will remain
unsupported by a stable branch (most of them, based on ath10k / 802.11ac).

We are between: (1) buying legacy devices (ath9k and 802.11n), for
example right now classic nanostation XW m5 is locked right now [4]),
(2) second hand devices or (3) buying new devices using ath10k and
802.11ac (using the wiki procedure still you can unlock them and install
openwrt)

Our use case requires stable releases because in a community network we
remotely upgrade firmwares. Based on previous experiences (releases 17,
18) it worked perfectly. I don't feel good introducing the usage of
snapshot for building our firmwares (image builder and so on). In that
circumstances, I think we prefer known bugs that new bugs approaching.

I thought of having my custom patches on top of 19.07 branch. Maybe
someone is already doing it. I'm sure more people have this need.

I don't feel confortable leading that proposed frozen branch that could
help as a pre-work/alpha for future 20.x openwrt release.

Anyone in the same situation?

But maybe is too much effort and we should continue focusing on the plan
right now (get 19.07 release done)

Cheers,
Pedro

[1] https://openwrt.org/toh/ubiquiti/ubiquiti_nanostation_ac_loco