[OpenWrt-Devel] Did they check security of OpenWrt?

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 11:34:23 EDT 2019

Hi Vincent,

I don't know whether the article, or its underlying report from Cyber Independent Testing Lab - CITL, is a joke or not. (Although, I'll agree that any firmware using 18-year old kernels is on its face a security joke.)

My questions were more about OpenWrt. How would our current builds stack up under the criteria used in the report's table? It listed:

- Stack Guards
- ASLR
- RELRO
- Fortify SRC
- Non-Exec Stack

And are there other security practices that we enforce that would make an OpenWrt system more secure?

If OpenWrt compares favorably, it occurs to me that we could invite CITL to review OpenWrt builds (on hundreds of routers) and update their report...

Thanks.

Rich