[OpenWrt-Devel] [LEDE-DEV] 18.03/4 -> GCC 5 or 7

Hauke Mehrtens hauke at hauke-m.de
Sun Mar 4 10:53:55 EST 2018

On 03/04/2018 04:40 PM, Felix Fietkau wrote:
> On 2018-03-04 16:15, Hauke Mehrtens wrote:
>> There is also a pull request for busybox 2.28.1 at github, this will
>> probably also introduce some more regressions, so I am not sure if we
>> should take it before or after the release.
>> https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/733
>> I do not have a real opinion on this and I am probably the wrong person
>> to judge this.
> Anything useful in there?

I haven't seen there anything useful, except support for some new MIPS
ISAs, but I do not know if they ever will be relevant.
binutils:
https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=binutils-gdb.git;a=blob_plain;f=binutils/NEWS;hb=refs/tags/binutils-2_30
gas:
https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=binutils-gdb.git;a=blob_plain;f=gas/NEWS;hb=refs/tags/binutils-2_30
ld:
https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=binutils-gdb.git;a=blob_plain;f=ld/NEWS;hb=refs/tags/binutils-2_30

>> I do not know what the status of the software fast path patches are, but
>> they are looking interesting.
> I think the flow offload support will be ready soon. So far it's looking
> good aside from some issues with TCP connection timeout handling that
> I'm going to deal with soon. We should make it clear that those patches
> are still experimental though.
>
>> My proposal would be to update all targets to GCC 7.3 and also use
>> binutils 2.29.1 and musl 1.1.19. This change would be done as soon as
>> possible and then we branch of end of March or beginning of April for
>> 18.X and do a RC1 one week after creating the branch.
> Fine with me. I'll run some more test builds for various architectures.

Hauke