[OpenWrt-Devel] Introducing the LEDE project

Roman Yeryomin leroi.lists at gmail.com
Thu May 5 12:59:42 EDT 2016

On 5 May 2016 at 19:29, Daniel Dickinson <openwrt at daniel.thecshore.com> wrote:
> On 16-05-05 12:24 PM, Daniel Dickinson wrote:
>> On 16-05-05 12:21 PM, Jonathan Bennett wrote:
>> [snip]
>>>     > The changes that the Lede guys are suggesting would be welcome, but
>>>     > splitting the project and community with an ugly fork is very much not
>>>     > welcome.
>>>
>>>     Let's just say that there are strong personalities who haven't been
>>>     working well together and that this has been a long time coming; perhaps
>>>     if something like using a mediator had been considered before things got
>>>     to this point it would have helped.  At this point I'm not sure
>>>     there is a
>>>     solution unless both sides are willing to bend a little (I'm really not
>>>     sure who has been flexible and who has not, but as I have said I suspect
>>>     a large part of the issue is that 'management' (who aren't and don't,
>>>     really) has overruled those doing the majority of the work and in an
>>>     open source project that doesn't fly).
>>>
>>> I don't disagree.  I just see the current state of Openwrt/Lede as a
>>> mess for the community.
>>
>> I agree, I just don't see how the LEDE team could have avoided it
>> without giving up and accepting the broken status quo.
>
> When I say broken I mean I think openwrt was dying and I pointed out not
> all that long ago that openwrt was in bad position and that something
> needed to change, and I think that may have been *part* of the reason
> accepting the status quo was no longer an acceptable answer.

I don't believe that those who are in LEDE now couldn't do anything
(that means is was dying in their hands). Actually I'm still under
impression that they controlled pretty much everything. And the part
they didn't control (what exactly?) was only important to them.
But I guess we will never know full story, unless both parties are
willing to disclose all their private conversations related to
project.

Regards,
Roman