[OpenWrt-Devel] New "Security" wiki page. Improvements/corrections appreciated

Eric Schultz eschultz at prplfoundation.org
Tue Jan 5 11:51:56 EST 2016

Brian,

I think your page did a great job of going through the opportunities for
improvement and clarifications in OpenWrt security. prpl's members have
bringing up some of these topics as well. I'm happy to help bring myself
and prpl into this effort.

I also think a consideration of automatic updates for OpenWrt would be
appropriate. The fact that every device model is a unique build makes this
more difficult but ultimately, I don't think it's in OpenWrt's interest for
its users to be running insecure, out of date software by default. (If
someone doesn't want their device from updating, that's certainly their
right of course).

That said, autoupdating will be difficult to do until we have a way to
automatically test updates on actual hardware. Having a standard autoupdate
mechanism that device manufacturers could use/plug into might be a good
first step. We do have contacts with many manufacturers and I'd be happy to
help this.

Eric

--
Eric Schultz, Community Manager, prpl Foundation
http://www.prplfoundation.org
eschultz at prplfoundation.org
cell: 920-539-0404
skype: ericschultzwi