[OpenWrt-Devel] Logging from Ath9k Code

Michal michal.cieslakiewicz at wp.pl
Mon Feb 1 12:35:46 EST 2016

On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 19:58:39 +0530
Nimantha Baranasuriya <nimanthab at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to log the values of some variables in the ath9k driver
> code in runtime. There are logging statements like ath_dbg(common,
> QUEUE, "qnum: %d, txq_depth:%d\n") but I can't find where these logs
> get written. I added printk statements to the code as well but
> nothing gets written to dmesg. Can someone please help me to get this
> resolved? Basically, my requirement is that I need to write to any
> log file like syslog or dmesg from the driver code. Any tips on
> getting this done would be very helpful.
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Nimantha

Hello Nimantha,

ath_dbg(), defined in drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath.h, works only if
ath9k driver debugging is on (CPTCFG_ATH_DEBUG is defined). Otherwise it
is an empty function and it is exactly how it works in standard build.
I recommend to use similar functions defined there that put information
in logs regardless of debug flags, for example ath_info().

Have fun!

Regards
Michal