[OpenWrt-Devel] Networking on Raspberry Pi Model B

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Thu Oct 22 14:45:43 EDT 2015

Hi!

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 12:53:06PM -0400, W. Michael Petullo wrote:
> I have installed OpenWrt (trunk, as of around October 17) on a Raspberry
> Pi Model B. The network adapter is an Edimax 802.11b/g/n Nano USB Adapter.
> Unfortunately, the network stack of the device is failing after a
> number of minutes. At this point, for example, pinging and other network
> communication begins to fail.
>
> The same device is reliable when running Pidora.
>
> I am going to continue to troubleshoot, but wanted to see if any other
> developers where having trouble with OpenWrt on the Raspberry Pi. Has
> anyone else seen similar symptoms?

What you are describing is most likely an issue with the wireless
driver. According to wikidevi.com Edimax made at least 46 different
USB wifi dongles with Atmel, Atheros, Ralink, Realtek or ZyDAS chips.
Which driver is being used depends on the chip found inside the dongle.

In order to identify the wifi driver and hardware, please install
usbutils and use lsusb or provide the relevant kernel log-lines
from dmesg output.

Cheers

Daniel