[OpenWrt-Devel] SVN to GIT transition

Roman Yeryomin leroi.lists at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 04:45:39 EDT 2015

On 13 October 2015 at 10:50, Bruno Randolf <br1 at einfach.org> wrote:
> On 10/12/2015 10:53 PM, Felix Fietkau wrote:
>>> git describe
>>>
>>> r-35387-g83c5a41
>>>
>>> If you prefer, cut the last part and get "r-35387".
>>>
>>> Looks familiar? Now you even have real linear numbering in each branch,
>>> without the gaps you get when committing to different branches in SVN +
>>> the unique hash. Need to look up the commit? Use the hash (g83c5a41).
>>>
>>> Of course "r" is just an example to show the familiarity with SVN
>>> revisions, you could choose whatever seems fit, for example at this
>>> moment it would make sense to tag the moment when 15.05 was branched off
>>> from trunk as "dd", then you'd get "dd-number-hash" in trunk and
>>> "15.05-66-g66620f5" in the 15.05 branch (you actually do, just need to
>>> use "git describe --tags" because the tag was not created with -a).
>>
>> That looks quite interesting. The issue I see with that is if somebody
>> adds a local commit on top and builds the tree, the number behind 'r' is
>> misleading and the hash is useless.
>
> Right, I see, the ambiguous numbering with local commits may be a weak
> point. But then, if you don't find the hash in the OpenWRT git, you also
> know that it's not a clean copy of trunk and that's also valuable
> information. People should report bugs from clean trunk, not containing
> random, unknown, additional commits.

and then, again, if a user is able to commit something usually that
means he is able to understand that reporting his local changes
doesn't make sense.
Though, I still think that appropriate, meaningful tags will be a
better option to just r (which would be just svn legacy).
Not sure but probably both options could be used in parallel.

Regards,
Roman