[OpenWrt-Devel] SVN to GIT transition

Javier Domingo Cansino javierdo1 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 16:51:35 EDT 2015

So the questions to be answered to provide a build version string are.

- Are you planning to use git tags for something? What are you needs for it?
- What information would you like to have from the build?

Examples: last upstream common commit, current commit, dirtiness,
officialness.

Also, I am looking that you are speaking about nightly tags, I wouldn't
recommend at all having those kind of tags. Nightly tags for build version
string would loose all the meaning, if you intend the build version to be
universal. It all depends on your answers to those two questions