[OpenWrt-Devel] SVN to GIT transition

David Lang david at lang.hm
Mon Oct 12 16:06:48 EDT 2015

On Mon, 12 Oct 2015, Jonathan Bennett wrote:

> His point is that users don't ever do an SVN checkout. Because the r number
> is baked into the image, it's a really easy and obvious way for an end user
> to report the revision in a bug report.  I can see the advantage in this.
> If we are to move to git, we would want some way to preserve this feature,
> that is a super easy way for a user to report the revision.  We could bake
> the short hash into the image, but this would not be useful if any commits
> were added locally, whereas the r number would still show some useful
> information.
>
> Would it be possible to track the revision number in an automated way even
> in a git repo?  So store the r number, and automatically increment on
> commits.  Not sure if that's an option, but it seems like it might address
> the problem.

It sounds like what you really want to do is to have the nightly build embed the
date of the build in the image and have people report that.

If someone checks out the source and compiles a new copy (with local
modifications), reporting a SVN version is as misleading as a git hash.

I know that various projects I work with have the build process embed the date
in the package versions, so it should be straightforward to put it into some
file in the resulting firmware image. Such a process can also check if it's
running on the 'official' tree or in someone else's repo (check repo
owner/e-mail) and add the initials of the person compiling it.

then something like the -dirty info that was mentioned earlier could also be
embedded to show the development since it branched from the main OpenWRT repo.

David Lang