[OpenWrt-Devel] SVN to GIT transition

Steven Barth cyrus at openwrt.org
Mon Oct 12 03:07:59 EDT 2015

>> Let's face it though: the current workflow wrt. core patches is crappy.
>>
>> 1. Go to patchwork, see if there is a patch
>> 2. If you want to comment, switch to mail client, find thread, write reply.
>> 3. If you want to commit: download patch, go to command line, see if it applies
>> 4. Then manually go back to patchwork and adjust the status of the patch.
>> 5. Upon merging go back to mail and write a mail ala "Patch Accepted".
>>

>> Sure could use pwclient and ocassionally do, however it does essentially one thing
>> only: save me the download step. Yes, I can also save me the click back to the
>> browser to hit accept and can do that via CLI (if I remember the cryptic switches).
>> On top of that now I have to deal with an opaque 5 or 6-digit patch id in my head.
>>
>> Compared to Github, Gitlab or Gerrit this is bullshit.
>>

> lets face it, it works very well. if you find it crappy then please
> provide consistent reasons why this is so.
If you find the steps above a sensible workflow,  i.e., I essentially need to switch
between 3 different programs having no connection between one another at all
to merge a patch then I don't know what arguments could actually convince you.

> currently having people look at every patch while merging it is very
> usefull and leads to a solid codebase.
So, the assumptions is, because its email everyone reads everything and magically
doesn't filter by subject etc. and when you switch to Gitlab or similar people suddenly
change?

Tbh. I don't care if its email or some sort of web-based stuff, as long as tracking
the patches actually doesn't add more overhead than it delivers value aka. the way
we use patchwork.

If we had a patch-tracker that let's me reply (send mail) directly from the gui and
optionally doesn't make it a stupid hassle to merge a whole patchset then I don't
have a problem with e-mail. I'm sorry that I actually value my free time when doing
either volunteer or paid work.

And don't get me started about having a completely different Issuetracker with
different credentials etc.

> having the github "click and merge" stuff will lead to people "clicking
> and merging" and not reviewing it properly.
So, you don't trust the same group of people having push-access if they
would be using a web-interface over the current e-mail approach?

> i understand that some people love to upload their data to us based
> cloud services. but then again i would argue that this is a really illy
> thing to do for a whole number of reasons. first of all our dependence
> on that $corporation
Right, because a self-hosted Gitlab or Gerrit instance will send data to the US.