[OpenWrt-Devel] Looking for a Broadcom Asus tester(s)

Rafał Miłecki zajec5 at gmail.com
Thu May 28 01:42:16 EDT 2015

On 28 May 2015 at 07:33, Ian Kent <raven at themaw.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-05-27 at 22:32 +0200, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> With few recent commits OpenWrt can now generate Asus-specific TRX
>> files for brcm47xx and bcm53xx. The magic is about some extra data at
>> the end of TRX (so the format differs a bit, even it using the same
>> file extension and layout).
>>
>> My request for someone having Broadcom-based Asus devices is:
>> 1) Install original firmware
>> 2) Try to install OpenWrt .trx firmware for that device
>> 3) Let us know if it worked
>>
>> I don't have any Asus device around, so I'm not sure if OpenWrt
>> generates really compatible images now. Above way is the only one to
>> verify it for sure :)
>
> Has the partition corruption I saw with the RT-AC87U a while ago (when I
> tested if it would boot, which it didn't) been sorted out?

It's not perfect yet, but it works:
http://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt.git;a=commitdiff;h=beff7e61f2935a447522bc3057c51a0ef828be60
target/linux/bcm53xx/patches-3.18/901-mtd-bcm47xxpart-workaround-for-Asus-RT-AC87U-asus-pa.patch

For DD we'll get a better solution (I started working on it by patch
to linux-mtd for parsers support).

> btw, off-topic, I've been able to load the R8000 OpenWrt chk firmware
> via Luci a few times now so I don't know what changed but it seems ok
> now.

Support for extracting TRX files from bin (Linksys) and chk (Netgear)
was added few months ago.

--
Rafał