[OpenWrt-Devel] Looking for a Broadcom Asus tester(s)

Ian Kent raven at themaw.net
Thu May 28 01:33:43 EDT 2015

On Wed, 2015-05-27 at 22:32 +0200, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With few recent commits OpenWrt can now generate Asus-specific TRX
> files for brcm47xx and bcm53xx. The magic is about some extra data at
> the end of TRX (so the format differs a bit, even it using the same
> file extension and layout).
>
> My request for someone having Broadcom-based Asus devices is:
> 1) Install original firmware
> 2) Try to install OpenWrt .trx firmware for that device
> 3) Let us know if it worked
>
> I don't have any Asus device around, so I'm not sure if OpenWrt
> generates really compatible images now. Above way is the only one to
> verify it for sure :)

Has the partition corruption I saw with the RT-AC87U a while ago (when I
tested if it would boot, which it didn't) been sorted out?

I really don't want to risk breaking my device again. I was lucky I was
able to get a build of asuswrt-merlin to go far enough to build
mtd-erase2, actually it's a symlink to the rc utility, (with an
appropriate change) to allow me to fix the problem.

btw, off-topic, I've been able to load the R8000 OpenWrt chk firmware
via Luci a few times now so I don't know what changed but it seems ok
now.

Ian