[OpenWrt-Devel] Building OpenWRT static kernels

Jonas Gorski jogo at openwrt.org
Mon Mar 23 11:21:04 EDT 2015

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 3:51 PM, Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE
<jmpoure at gooze.eu> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I would like to discuss the ability to compile a minimal kernel with all
> needed modules compiled staticly. This is for custom projects. I know
> static kernels are not for mass-release as it would confuse users.
>
> Is there a way to achieve something similar to:
> make localyesconfig
> turns modules in static mode.
>
> There is a possibility to return the list of modules runnig lsmod and
> then use it with make localyesconfig (I don't remember exactly). Then we
> just ban module loading.
>
> Before I do some research on grsecurity, I would like to make static
> kernels. How do you proceed on your side? Can we discuss the best (and
> recommended) way to make static kernels.

This is currently not easily possible with OpenWrt, as it contains
several "out-of-tree" kernel modules, which aren't part of the kernel
sources and thus can't be statically linked into the kernel. For
example all wifi drivers are build this way, to use newer driver
versions with older / "stable" kernel versions.

For those build from the kernel sources, you could probably change all
CONFIG_FOO to CONFIG_FOO=y in package/kernel/linux/modules/*, which
will then make those modules built-in. But this won't work for the out
of tree modules.

Jonas