[OpenWrt-Devel] Building OpenWRT static kernels

Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE jmpoure at gooze.eu
Mon Mar 23 10:51:18 EDT 2015

Dear all,

I would like to discuss the ability to compile a minimal kernel with all
needed modules compiled staticly. This is for custom projects. I know
static kernels are not for mass-release as it would confuse users.

Is there a way to achieve something similar to:
make localyesconfig
turns modules in static mode.

There is a possibility to return the list of modules runnig lsmod and
then use it with make localyesconfig (I don't remember exactly). Then we
just ban module loading.

Before I do some research on grsecurity, I would like to make static
kernels. How do you proceed on your side? Can we discuss the best (and
recommended) way to make static kernels.

Kind regards,
Gnutella