[OpenWrt-Devel] EdgeRouter POE support

Stijn Tintel stijn at linux-ipv6.be
Fri Jul 31 04:51:20 EDT 2015

On 07/28/15 01:27, Wojtek Sawaściuk wrote:
> Hello,
> What is current status of support for Ubiquity's EdgeRouter POE (this
> one with 2+3switch ports) ?
>
> I can't flash it with sysupgrade using openwrt-15.05-rc3-octeon-er:
>
> "Sysupgrade is not yet supported on cavium,octeon-3860.
> Image check 'platform_check_image' failed."
I suspect r45462 (and related r45496) broke sysupgrade on EdgeRouter
devices. it fills /tmp/sysinfo/board_name with "cavium,octeon-3860"
while sysupgrade expects it to be "er" or "erlite". This is because
octeon only has a few generic dts files, nothing board specific, so
there is no useable board name in /proc/device-tree/compatible.

I worked around this by putting this
intarget/linux/octeon/base-files/lib/preinit/11_sysinfo:

#!/bin/sh

verify_sysinfo() {
       if [ -f /tmp/sysinfo/board_name ]; then

               name=$(cat /tmp/sysinfo/board_name)

               case "$name" in
                       er|erlite|erpro)
                               continue
                               ;;
                       *)
                               rm /tmp/sysinfo/board_name
                               ;;
               esac
       fi
}

boot_hook_add preinit_main verify_sysinfo

A real fix for this is still needed though.

> I can with openwrt-15.05-rc3-octeon-erlite but system detects only eth0
> and eth1, not switch interface (same status with BarierBraker).

I only have ERL devices without switch, so can't help you with that, sorry.

Kind regards,
Stijn