[OpenWrt-Devel] Split kernel modules out of the base opkg repo?

Matthias Schiffer mschiffer at universe-factory.net
Sat Jul 25 10:39:27 EDT 2015

On 07/25/2015 03:55 PM, John Crispin wrote:

> On 25/07/2015 14:46, Matthias Schiffer wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'd like to propose to split the current "base" opkg repo into two, one
>> for userspace applications and one for kernel modules. This would
>> greatly simplify providing your own kernel module repository with
>> modules for a customized kernel, while still being able to rely on the
>> upstream "base" repo for userspace.
>>
>> I'll provide a patch for this if you think this is a reasonable idea.
>>
>> Matthias
>>

> i think the current setup works very well for open drivers and code.
> fixing up openwrt for out of tree modules is imho not a good idea as it
> allows companies to easily avoid upstreaming stuff.
>
> why dont you just include your magic USP into openwrt and/or upstream ?

I'm not talking about out-of-tree modules at all, I'm talking about the
kmod-* packages in the base repo. I want to provide an own opkg repo
with the same kernel modules, but built for a customized kernel.

As these modules' ABI depends on the kernel configuration (and thus the
kernel configuration is included in the version number as "vermagic"), I
need to provide the kernel modules built matching my configuration. As
far as I know there's no way to tell opkg to prefer the modules from my
repo, regardless of the version number, so I'm asking for a base repo
without any kmod-* packages.