[OpenWrt-Devel] AES module vs builtin

Dirk Neukirchen dirkneukirchen at web.de
Wed Jul 8 12:22:55 EDT 2015

for reference its introduced in: https://dev.openwrt.org/changeset/35329/

> But package/kernel/linux/modules/crypto.mk still defines a
> kmod-crypto-aes package which just contains a file in /etc/modules.d/
> trying to load a module which doesn't exist.
>
> Not sure how the config files in target/linux/generic files are
> created... Should kmod-crypto-aes be removed, or is
> "CONFIG_CRYPTO_AES=y" what shouldn't be there?
>

> Also, it's a bit worrisome that there was no build failure since the
> kmod-crypto-aes package description defines
> FILES:=$(LINUX_DIR)/crypto/aes_generic.ko
> and the file doesn't exist.
> There is an "OpenWRT build system expert" around? Otherwise I will try
> to take a look.

If you enable logging there will be messages that help you find cases of builtin modules
or other inconsistencies:

NOTICE: module '<...>/build_dir/target-mips_34kc_uClibc-0.9.33.2/linux-ar71xx_generic/linux-3.10.58/drivers/net/phy/rtl8366s.ko' is built-in.
WARNING: kmod-pwm is not available in the kernel config - generating empty package

No build failure makes sense because
- some modules depend on other symbols not available on all target archs
- some modules have to be built-in to boot from a rootfs (ext4) when on other targets built-in does not make sense
(4mb flash routers with squashfs)