[OpenWrt-Devel] Plans for procd

Karl Palsson karlp at tweak.net.au
Tue Jan 6 08:59:40 EST 2015

Mats Karrman <mats.dev.list at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been looking at LXC and CGmanager but I think I'm after something
> even more lightweight. I have currently no need for the whole
> virtualization
> thing, more something in the line of the ability to by configuration
> divide
> processes into a set of fixed groups and apply restrictions on e.g.
> memory
> and cpu usage. This together with the ability to restart processes that
> are
> killed by OOM would be enough to solve my problem.
>
> I haven't been using procd yet but thought that this could be a nice
> place
> to put that kind of functionality.

I'm interested in seeing where procd is going in this as well.  I've
been using "monit" for restarting processes that die, or exceed
CPU/memory usage limits.  procd can already restart them when they die,
but the existing procd support for limits:
https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2013-December/022793.html
doesn't appear to be particuarly useful for the latter.  Also, I haven't
(yet) found a way of taking any action when these events occur.

Sincerely,
Karl Palsson