[OpenWrt-Devel] GCC download issue...

John Szakmeister john at szakmeister.net
Mon Feb 23 14:53:08 EST 2015

I've occasionally run into a problem where a clean build is
complaining about the gcc tarball not being found or has the wrong
hash (I have a local mirror set up to help reduce the load on other
servers).  Today, I noticed something that led me a bit further: I saw
that the gcc tarball was being copied 3 times.  Then it dawned on me:
we have 3 separate gcc targets: initial, minimal, and final.  It
doesn't look like anything special is being done to signify that they
should all use the same tarball, so what I think is happening is that
I'm getting lucky occasionally (more frequently on one machine) and
the three downloads fire off close to each other and interact, causing
a build failure while running with `make -j8 download`.

Is this expected?  Is there someone to have the build system only
attempt to download the gcc tarball once even in a parallel build?
I'd be happy to put a patch together if someone can point me in the
right direction.

-John